background

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Letters to a Soilder

When I was eight years old, I wrote to a solider in Desert Storm.  I was given his information from my teacher and we became pen pals.  He was from my hometown but I didn't know him personally.  I remember sending him pictures of me and him writing back.  I enjoyed getting his letters.  I couldn't tell you what I wrote in there but I thought I was keeping the guy company. 

On my way to school Wednesday morning, I heard a commercial and they said Desert Storm.  For some reason the guy popped in my head and I remembered his name.  I looked him up to see if he was on facebook.  Sure enough he was.  I didn't know how to question him to find out if it was really him or not.  Well after a few messages back and forth, it was!  What's even crazier is he remembered me and kept all the letters I wrote him.  He said he had a box of all the letters he received and was going to find one from me.  He sent me a picture of an envelope I sent him. 


I have to say that my handwriting has improved!  I thought this was so cool.  I told my students about what had just happened that morning and they all thought that was so cool.  I am going to look for the letters he sent me (hopefully I kept them).  I am so excited we have reconnected.  This is something you don't come across to often.  So, I encourage you.  If you have ever had a pen pal, look them up.  No telling what you might discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment